Landlord’s electrical testing & inspection FAQ

Why do I require an electrical safety certificate when it is not law to have one?
It is the duty of every landlord to make sure that the property that they are renting is fit for the purpose for which it is intended. This includes the fixed electrical wiring.

Why are the government bringing in new laws (Part P)?
Contrary to popular belief, the current regulations of the IEE wiring regulations BS 7671 was issued in 1991. It states that every electrical system shall be tested before being brought into service and have an electrical safety certificate issued. It is only since the Part P law has come in that the current regulations are starting to be implemented correctly.

How long is the certificate valid for?
Typically the certificates are valid for a maximum of 5 years or at the change of occupancy. However it is up to the tester to specify an amount of time based on the test results, experience and judgement.

Am I expected to get the property tested every time there is a new tenant? This could prove very expensive!
Yes! The inspection reports are required at each change of tenancy. This is to verify that the previous tenant has not damaged or changed the electrical system in any way. brh electrical offers competitive Landlords’ Packages and electrical maintenance contracts to ensure that your costs are kept as low as possible.

How does this relate to the electrical safety certificate?
The electrical safety certificate ensures that the fixed electrical wiring is in a satisfactory state of repair and is able to remain in service.

What happens if I do not have one?
If you are unfortunate enough to have a problem of an electrical nature while you property is being rented, you may be liable. It will be up to you to prove that the electrical installation was fit for service at the time of renting and that the onus of blame lies elsewhere. Your up to date electrical safety certificate will ensure that you can do this.

Can this affect my insurances?
Yes! Some insurance companies will not offer you a policy unless a safety electrical certificate has been issued.

How can I avoid these problems?
Get your property tested.

What is a special location
Special locations are the bathroom, kitchen, garden, pool, spa & sauna etc.

Can I get a builder to do the works and then get a registered electrician to issue the test certificates afterwards?
No! The individual or company that carries out the works is responsible for the design, installation, the testing and issuing of any certificates. Any electrician issuing a test certificate for work that has not been completed by him is breaking the law as stipulated in ‘Part P’